What have we achieved since Cheryl was elected to the City Council?
(Don't have much time? The highlights are in green)
The past eight years have been filled with accomplishments for the City of Laguna Beach. I am proud to have participated in making these things happen. Among the accomplishments are:
Last updated 07/02/08.
- I proposed the Design Review Task Force, which has worked to make Laguna's design review process more effective and more humane.
- We have instituted a City Hall greeter to help citizens use our city resources more effectively.
- Laguna has opened or re-constructed five parks during the last four years I have been on the Council.
- Laguna is in excellent financial shape, and is a nearly debt free city, as opposed to other cities in California which are going bankrupt.
- Laguna Beach reversed years of infrastructure neglect over the last 8 years. We have replaced many sidewalks and resurfaced many of the public streets in Laguna Beach, and will complete this over the next five years.
- I proposed the way for Laguna Beach to save $1.4 million in interest payments by paying off the Treasure Island Park debt.
- Laguna Beach became the leading city in reducing coastal water pollution by replacing old sewer lines, by "televising" sewer lines to assure that they were in good shape, by passing a tough but fair grease ordinance for our restaurants, and by mandating that home sewer laterals be inspected.
- I represented Laguna Beach on the El Toro Reuse Planning Authority (ETRPA) and we stopped El Toro International Airport permanently.
- I headed the subcommittee to construct South Laguna Village street improvements and establish zoning to revitalize the South Laguna Village.
- We ensured our arts heritage by signing new 40 year leases with the Festival of Arts and the Laguna Playhouse and by providing permanent funding for the arts through the establishment of a business improvement district in cooperation with Laguna's hotels.
- We acted on Vision Laguna 2030 recommendations. We have acted on the vast majority of the 31 Vision Laguna 2030 recommendations that required city action and we are continuing to act on more.
- We renovated Village Green Park and Bluebird Park, including a new rocket ship.
- We initiated computer upgrades, providing community access to city information.